Being forklift trained can help you become more employable so companies know that they won’t need to train you and you can just get straight on with the job, it will also improve work efficiency, productivity and profit. This post should help you to understand what it takes to get forklift trained.
Is it Needed?
Accidents can happen on forklifts and a lot of the time it is due to carelessness or the operator being unfamiliar with the equipment. Being trained is necessary so that the person will be aware of any risks and will know how to operate the machinery properly.
How Old Do You Need To Be?
Technically, you can drive a forklift as soon as you have left school but it is rare that a company will hire anyone under 18. Therefore when you are 17 it is a good idea to train so that once you are 18 you will be more employable. However, if you want to drive a forklift on the road there will be further rules and regulations to follow.
Can You Drive a Forklift Without a Drivers Licence?
Driving a forklift doesn’t actually require a driving licence however training is required which needs to be accredited by one of the following RTITB, ITSAAR, ALLMI, NPORS or AITT. Usually, the only time where this qualification is not enough is when driving on the roads in which a full UK driving licence is required.
Acquiring Your Forklift Qualification
You can get fully forklift trained in only a few steps.
- Identify what skills you have already and what type of forklift you are looking to operate. This helps you to find the course that is right for you.
- Contact a training centre, this I the best place to get trained since they will have access to complete facilities including equipment and instructors.
- Attend classroom training, this is where a lot of time will be spent and at the end of your training, a written test will be taken to see how well you performed.
- Complete practical training, this is where you actually drive the forklift truck. Your instructor will give you instructions that you will need to follow, once your trainer is satisfied with your capabilities, he will pass you.
- Receiving your certification is the final step. Once your written and practical tests are passed, you will receive a certificate which you can then show to your employed.
Get Your Training Started
If you are ready to start getting trained to become a qualified forklift driver, then why not contact our team at Approved Forklift Trucks today. Give us a call on 0116 276 2868 or fill out our online contact form.